Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Beach Day

I have to admit that the simple idea of going to the beach makes me anxious and once there I feel guilty... A walk along the shore, the sound of the waves, sand between my toes, my kiddos playing along, and the feeling of warm sun rays caressing my skin are some of those little things in life that bring me joy and melancholy at the same time. 
Having photodermatitis has taught me to embrace what is unique about me, to savor each day and every little thing in life slowly. Despite my skin condition, I indulge myself with these little things from time to time...

I still battle when going into the sun. No matter how much sunscreen I apply or how long in advance, I find myself "burning" at the end of the day. Cold showers, plenty of ice cubes, and consistent Aloe applications give me some relief. Every time I go back is an opportunity to try harder, make an extra effort, and use more caution -- I take breaks under the shade, wear a hat and long sleeves, re-apply sunscreen, and drink plenty of water. I am certain that as long as I keep practicing extra precautions, I can safely enjoy the beach and other outside activities.


Here's what the Skin Cancer Foundation recommends for beachgoers (summarized): 


• Use plenty of Sunscreen

A minimum of 30 SPF and water-resistant for a whole day at the beach. Applying 1 ounce (Yes, you read right! This is about a shot glass full) 30 minutes BEFORE you put on swimming suit and BEFORE you actually get out of the house (this allows the ingredients to fully bind to the skin). Reapply every two hours or right after swimming. 

• Cover Up

Wear sunglasses, hat, and long sleeves. For us women, brightly colored, long sarongs are another option! 

• Seek the Shade  & Plan Accordingly

Early morning or late afternoon trips to the beach are best, because the sun is most intense between 10AM and 4PM. You can avoid the crowds and perhaps get to enjoy a stunning sunset!

+ Source: Skin Cancer Foundation. Sun Safety Tips for Beachgoers

No comments:

Post a Comment