Friday, August 21, 2015

Hydration

I had been working on writing about skin hydration for a while... I wanted to talk about how I had made a habit of drinking about 2L of water in addition to consuming (more like chewing) a couple of ice trays throughout the day (these mini ice trays I have are so cute!). Staying hydrated and keeping my body's temperature cool (to avoid getting itchy) became really important and I easily disregarded signs that my body was sending me. A couple of months ago while trying to donate blood my iron was low, but I never followed up with a doctor...

Last week, while visiting my family in Mexico (a super quick visit) I got sick. It was in the middle of my visit, so I just hung in there and pushed myself to complete and enjoy the rest of my stay. The next day after I returned to the U.S., I felt weak and ended up going to the doctor. It turns out that I was dehydrating! They found "crystals" in my urine, and of course my hemoglobin levels were low enough to consider me anemic.

The week in Mexico had already left me exhausted, physically and mentally; visiting my dad, whose been in bed for the last four months due to several strokes in the past two and a half years, was quite emotional. Trying to do so many things in such little time got my body tired and stressed, so the news got me crying in a second. As the nurses were trying to find a good vein for the I.V. (they blew two), we were chatting about how important is to drink water and keep your body hydrated, so of course I thought "how ironic".

I am better now and back to drinking 2L of water a day. Doctor visits, tons of tests, and a skin hydration post are coming (s
kin hydration doesn't depend on the amount of water you drink only). So stay hydrated, stay healthy, and stay happy my friends. 

--
Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment